Knowledge is a weapon. So please consider contributing to build our arsenal. We accept no corporate or foundation funding whatsoever. Please make a donation.
Railroading Racism: Warren Buffett vs Northwest IndiansWrong Kind of Green Apr 21, 2015 Whiteness & Aversive Racism
April 10, 2015
by Jay Taber
Warren Buffett’s financial and political clout, from Wall Street to the White House, has created a hubris in the “bomb train” magnate matched only by his partner in crime, Bill Gates. As Buffett and Gates rake in millions from shipping Tar Sands bitumen and Bakken Shale crude, however, a storm is brewing in the Pacific Northwest, where the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians (ATNI) are fighting Buffett’s Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad (BNSF)–which hopes to cash in big on Crude Zones in Washington State.
In May 2013, ATNI adopted a resolution opposing transport and export of fossil fuels in the Pacific Northwest. On April 7, 2015, Swinomish Indian Tribal Community, an ATNI member tribe, filed suit in U.S. District Court in Seattle to stop Buffett’s oil trains from crossing their reservation at Padilla Bay. Meanwhile, another ATNI member tribe, Quinault Indian Nation, filed an appeal to stop a major oil train terminal on the Washington coast at Gray’s Harbor.
On January 8, 2015, Lummi Nation, also an ATNI member tribe, requested that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reject an application by BNSF and SSA Marine to develop a major coal export terminal at Cherry Point–home to an ancient Lummi village and burial ground, as well as prolific Salish Sea crab and salmon fishery, that benefits many Coast Salish First Nations in Washington and British Columbia. As Washington tribes fight Buffett and the fossil fuel exporters, sowers of interracial discord are already on the fossil-fueled payroll.
With the 2007 UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, indigenous cultural survival is now a matter of human rights. As noted at Earth Ministry in Seattle, whose Interfaith Earth Day on April 21 is devoted to discussing how indigenous rights have encountered indignant wrongs from the coal and oil exporters, the devastating impacts of fossil fuel megaprojects on Native American culture remind us of “our shared responsibility to protect Mother Earth”.
Given the convergence of fossil fuel exporters and white supremacists (i.e. Tea Party and CERA) seeking to terminate American Indian tribes, White Power on the Salish Sea could conceivably become a public safety issue, as it did twenty years ago. Hopefully, the intervention of moral authorities will help keep a lid on organized racism funded by fossil fuel. Alas, The Politics of Land and Bigotry.
[Jay Taber is an associate scholar of the Center for World Indigenous Studies, a correspondent to Forum for Global Exchange, and a contributing editor of Fourth World Journal. Since 1994, he has served as communications director at Public Good Project, a volunteer network of researchers, analysts and activists engaged in defending democracy. As a consultant, he has assisted indigenous peoples in the European Court of Human Rights and at the United Nations.]
- #askwarren Question #9: Are you, Gates Foundation, U2, RED & ONE Campaign Aware of the State Violence Enforcing Your DAPL Investment?
- WATCH: FROM ALLY TO ACCOMPLICE
- WATCH: More Dangerous Than a Thousand Rioters: The Revolutionary Life of Lucy Parsons
- Forget Oscar: Give The White Helmets the Leni Riefenstahl Award for Best War Propaganda Film
- Industry-Funded Indians
- NEW BOOK RELEASE: Under the Mask of Philanthropy
- Nature is Priceless, Which is Why Turning it into ‘Natural Capital’ is Wrong
- Why it is Time to Move On from MoveOn.org and the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
- WATCH: Oscar Winner White Helmets Hand in Hand with Al Qaeda
- Bringing Liquidity to Life: Markets for Ecosystem Services and the New Political Economy of Extinction
- Human Rights Industry Protects Imperialism
- Questions about #DefundDAPL, Standing Rock or #NODAPL? – #askwarren
- Just Passing Through
- WATCH: Yejide Orunmila – Surviving the White Women’s March on Washington
- FLASHBACK: The Class-Domination Theory of Power
- Standing Rock: Profusion, Collusion & Big Money Profits: Addendum
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL: Humanitarian Spin Merchants & Propaganda Peddlers
- The Revolutionary Distemper in Syria That Wasn’t
- FLASHBACK: George Clooney Paid by War Profiteers
- Buffett, Gates Foundation, Bono’s RED and the Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Age of Humanism is Ending
- Nature is Being Renamed ‘Natural Capital’ – But is it Really the Planet that Will Profit?
- Ecosystem Services for Whom?
- How We Were Misled About Syria: Amnesty International
- The Resolution Copper Land Grab: How Environmental NGOs Expand Green Capitalism
- An Analysis of Women’s Marches Along Historical & Present Lines
- WATCH: Gail Dines: Putting the Radical Back in Feminism
- The Bankers at the Helm of the ‘Natural Capital’ Sector
- WATCH: John Pilger: The Hijacking of Feminism
- Women’s March On Washington: To White Women Who Were Allowed To Resist While We Survived Passive Racism
- WATCH: El Perro Del Hortelano [Dog in the Manger]
- PODCAST: Washington Post Attacks Burundi
- Obama to Open Post-presidency Office in World Wildlife Fund Headquarters
- WATCH: Salmon Confidential [Marine Harvest & WWF, British Columbia]
- ALEPPO: The Terrorist Cheerleaders Promoted as “Activists” by Corporate Media
- Independent Journalists Vanessa Beeley & Eva Bartlett Puncture the Establishment’s Media Bubble on Syria
- WATCH: Salmonopoly [Marine Harvest & WWF, Chile]
- WATCH: White Helmets – The Mask of Terror ( with English subtitles)
- OECD Opens Investigation into WWF in World First
- SumOfUs are Corporate Whores | Some Of Us Are Not on
- SYRIA: Avaaz, Purpose & the Art of Selling Hate for Empire on
- The Starvation Army: 12 Reasons to Reject the Salvation Army on
- THE NEXT PUPPETS: How NGOs are Indoctrinating Young African Politicians to Serve Western Interests on
- BLACK FEMINISM, THE CIA AND GLORIA STEINEM on
Wrong Kind Of Green is a 100% volunteer, critical-thinking collective.
Knowledge is a weapon. So please consider contributing to build our arsenal. We accept no corporate or foundation funding whatsoever.
Share the Knowledge
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
"Unlike the Latin American left, the pathetic European version has lost all sense of what it means to do politics. It does not try to propose concrete solutions to problems, and is only able to take moral stances, in particular denouncing dictators and human rights violations in grandiloquent tones. The social democratic left follows the right with at best a few years delay and has no ideas of its own. The “radical” left often manages both to denounce Western governments in every possible way and to demand that those same governments intervene militarily around the globe to defend democracy. Their lack of political reflection makes them highly vulnerable to disinformation campaigns and to becoming passive cheerleaders of US-NATO wars. That left has no coherent program and would not know what to do even if a god put them into power." - Jean Bricmont