Knowledge is a weapon. So please consider contributing to build our arsenal. We accept no corporate or foundation funding whatsoever. Please make a donation.
Deja Vu | War Against Syria: Built on a Lie
Demonstrators take part in a protest calling for no military attack on Syria. AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
September 1, 2013
“Many voices saying the same things may not all speak at once, but they will reach a wider audience.”
Today, Sunday the 1st of September, as I write this, there was another rally against another attack by another US president (Obama, the Nobel Peace Prize Winner) on another land and peoples, this time Syria. There have been, are, and will be 100’s more such rallies against US imperialism throughout the world, because people will never stop resisting…
I share the quote above (found at a comment section online somewhere in my research), because recently a friend who’s a filmmaker asked me if I think that filmmaking is enough to combat the war on the planet and our people by the profiteers of empire and colonialism. His recently released film, “Who Are My People” explores the issues of “renewable energy”, and exposes the green-wash of imperialism’s impact on the Mojave, Chemehuevi, Yaqui, and Quechan/Kumeyaay people of the Southwest desert, whose lives & culture are threatened by industrial solar power. I believe that his filmmaking is a key component of what is a necessary weapon to dismantle the systemic forces at work in destroying the only planet we have to live on. We’re all colonized. We’re all captive to the empire. And yes, there is a history of the colonized turning colonizers. But there is also a history of resistance; of colonized awakening; of colonized uniting with the colonized, and turning their weapons on the real enemy. I see Lundahl’s important work on “Who Are My People” as a critical part of that. Because lots of people don’t see that they are colonized subjects of the empire; don’t see how they are doing the bidding of the masters. Stories like Robert Lundahl’s film tell that story, and are part of the resistance movements needed. So, we all have talents, skills, and gifts to bring to the forefront against criminalities we’re facing. We do this in part by telling our story, in relationship to that place and the people, too.
One part of that story is that at the very same time that the indigenous peoples of the US Southwest are resisting destruction of their land (as the indigenous of turtle island have done for more than 500 yrs), the US government is planning yet another crime against those on lands abroad…
It’s all familiar…. Notice that nonstop “breaking news” on all the media outlets? How easily the current puppet in the belly of the beast of industrial capitalism dances to the tunes played by the corporate shareholders pulling their [purse-] strings. Note how every single day, sometimes more than once a day, some new piece of “news” is brought to the public for all of us to swallow, just as Aldous Huxley predicted, when he said, “There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it.”
And—as Orwell saw, too— that medication is the mediated reality controlled by the psychopaths making these decisions. Mediated reality that makes sure you never see information such as this critical piece that tells you, as you ought to know, that capitalism *Must* be stopped…
“…While much of Wall Street is displaying nervousness about a clash with Syria, Tomahawk cruise missile maker Raytheon (RTN) could receive a boost to its bottom line from the potential conflict….According to Politico, the war drums have raised calls in Washington for the Pentagon to buy more than the 196 Tomahawk missiles it purchases each year, which is just enough to maintain the supply chain….” Clash With Syria Could be a Windfall for Tomahawk Missile Maker Raytheon…By Matt Egan…Published August 30, 2013
“An attack on Syria might have been postponed, but its by no means been cancelled. It seems cold-blooded to think about the companies that could benefit from the death and destruction that’s to come, but this is a stocks blog, so…Investors might expect that the entire defense sector would befit from an attack. They’d be wrong, especially in the long-term, according to Stifel Nicolaus analysts William Loomis and Benjamin Owens….That’s because different scenarios play to the strengths–and weaknesses–of different companies. For instance, if the U.S. refrains from attacking, the analysts don’t expect any defense-oriented stocks to gain, not even those like Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) or ManTech International (MANT) that focus on cybersecurity because it’s a small part of their businesses….” August 29, 2013, 11:25 A.M. ET…Raytheon, Lockheed Martin Could Benefit From Airstrikes, Stifel Says… http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2013/08/29/raytheon-lockheed-martin-could-benefit-from-airstrikes-stifel-says/
Given the predictable nature of this *evil* theatre, and given the stakes, if we are to shatter the chains these unwelcome masters hold on our hearts and minds, as well as liberate our real physical lives, one of the most important weapons in this war for worldwide liberation, is truth and *legitimate*information. That is the point of this post….
If you understand, as the world understands, and as more and more US people are understanding, that the United States Government is the Evil Empire–A multi-national cabal of corporate profiteers in the military industrial complex, intent on turning the entire world into its retirement fund, & if they aren’t stopped, the entire world will be destroyed, then you understand that we must do all in our power to stop them…And please, if you *can*, DO go to the rallies, and otherwise gather together physically everywhere there are people planning, organizing, arguing, analyzing, singing and breaking bread as part of our refusal to believe the lies-for-profit. And: READ. DIG DEEP. And WAY beyond the US media sources… DO NOT trust a thing the US government tells you about what is going on here… Everything they tell you is *designed* to convince you, NOT to inform you.
And if—If—you understand that because as a human you are an animal, another’s experience is more related to your own than different than your own, by way of empathy, then you understand, too that,
“You are going to fight against men who have neither faith, law nor religion. They promise you liberty, they intend your servitude. Why have so many ships traversed the ocean, if not to throw you again into chains? They disdain to recognize in you submissive children, and if you are not their slaves you are rebels.” ~Toussaint L’Ouverture, 1802… L’Ouverture was the leader of the Haitian Revolution whose military genius and political acumen transformed an entire society of slaves into the independent black state of Haiti.
Links to sources, chockfull of information, real news and legitimate information:
1. War Made Easy Film (One Well-worth-it hour): “…[A]mericans are the ultimate innocents… …[F]orever desperate to believe that this time the government is telling us the truth.” Sydney Schanberg, Former NY Times reporter WWI: 10% WWII: 50% Vietnam: 70% Iraq: 90%… http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/war_made_easy/
2. Human Brain Hardwired for Empathy: “It’s essentially a breakdown of self and other; our self comes to include the people we become close to,” Coan said. “If a friend is under threat, it becomes the same as if we ourselves are under threat. We can understand the pain or difficulty they may be going through in the same way we understand our own pain.” This likely is the source of empathy, and part of the evolutionary process, Coan reasons….” http://news.virginia.edu/content/human-brains-are-hardwired-empathy-friendship-study-shows
3. “…Hooray, ring out the bells, KING Conscience is dead…/ …Hooray, now back in your cells. We’ve President KILL instead…”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4SspdkPuc&hd=1
4. Robert Lundahl’s “Who Are My People” film: Native American elders take on the world’s energy companies IN THE SCRUB AND THE SAGEBRUSH across the West… http://whoaremypeople.com/ Lundahl’s site: http://planet-rla.com/
5. Cory Morningstar writes: 350.org’s Van Jones (U.S. Advisory Council Board member and NRDC trustee), is calling for airstrikes on Syria. [CNN Video below.]…350.org’s Ricken Patel (350.org International Advisory Council member – and Avaaz founder) is also pounding the drums of war. Just 4 days ago, on August 22, 2013, Patel himself urged Avaaz supporters to demand world leaders “place a no-fly zone over Syria.” Those who comprise Avaaz are already up to their necks – in the blood of the Libyan people who they helped annihilate. [Further reading: Did Libya’s Citizens Demand Foreign Intervention? A ridiculous question, yet according to Avaaz, the answer is yes.] http://wrongkindofgreen.org/2013/08/30/on-the-eve-of-an-illegal-attack-on-syria-avaaz350-org-board-members-beat-the-drums-of-war/
6. Gearóid Ó Colmáin writes about the Oil and Pipeline Geopolitics: The US-NATO Race for Syria’s Black Gold |Syria’s proven oil reserves, amounting to 2.5 billion barrels. Civilians are the collateral for geopolitical competition to control Mideast oil, gas pipelines. http://www.globalresearch.ca/oil-and-pipeline-geopolitics-the-us-nato-race-for-syrias-black-gold/5330216
7. Raytheon Stock up 20%: http://inagist.com/all/373087896183402496/?utm_source=inagist&utm_medium=rss Top Raytheon Political Contributions: Barack Obama (D), Scott Brown (R-MA), Buck Mckeon (R-CA), Ron Barber (D-AZ)…. Top Raytheon Recipients…Republican National Cmte…Republican Governors Assn…Democratic Governors Assn…National Republican Senatorial Cmte…Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte…Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte…National Republican Congressional Cmte… http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000175 ….Raytheon Company is a major American defense contractor and industrial corporation with core manufacturing concentrations in weapons and military and commercial electronics. It was previously involved in corporate and special-mission aircraft until early 2007. Raytheon is the world’s largest producer of guided missiles.… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon
8. RE the Military Industrial Complex, See ALSO: “On Monday February 27th, 2012, WikiLeaks began publishing The Global Intelligence Files, over five million e-mails from the Texas headquartered “global intelligence” company Stratfor. The e-mails date between July 2004 and late December 2011. They reveal the inner workings of a company that fronts as an intelligence publisher, but provides confidential intelligence services to large corporations, such as Bhopal’s Dow Chemical Co., Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon and government agencies, including the US Department of Homeland Security, the US Marines and the US Defence Intelligence Agency. The emails show Stratfor’s web of informers, pay-off structure, payment laundering techniques and psychological methods.” https://wikileaks.org/gifiles/docs/1671459_insight-military-intervention-in-syria-post-withdrawal.html
9. [Another…] …War Train to Syria: http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/08/30/the-war-train-to-syria/
10. The world knows the US is the Evil Empire: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/31/321425/us-revealed-as-enemy-of-world/
11. On the anniversary of Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech, & hence the March on Washington commemoration. Here’s Dave Zirin’s report on how the organizers insulted us all, & the legacy of King & all the civil rights leaders and work of the past 50+ yrs. (See also, the CounterPunch (official) link below in comments). QUOTE: “…Dr. King who was murdered in Memphis in 1968 would not have been allowed to speak at this 50-anniversary commemoration of his life. There was no discussion of the “evil triplets.” Instead, we had far too many speakers pay homage to the narrowest possible liberal agenda in broad abstractions with none of the searing material truths that make Dr. King’s speeches so bracing even today….As Representative Nancy Pelosi spoke, it was difficult to not think of both her defense of the NSA spying program or her vote against cutting funding to stop the mass monitoring of phone calls….As future New Jersey Senator Cory Booker, Wall Street’s best friend, spoke at the front of this March, it was difficult to not think of the Dr. King who said, “The profit motive, when it is the sole basis of an economic system, encourages a cutthroat competition and selfish ambition that inspires men to be more concerned about making a living than making a life.”…” http://www.thenation.com/blog/175890/seeing-new-jim-crow-placards-seized-police-more-march-washington#
12. “This is the complete prepared text of Jesse Jackson’s remarks at the March on Washington commemoration. His speech was shamefully cut short by event planners….Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC, August 24, 2013.”: http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/08/23/reflections-on-50-years-of-struggle/
13. The success of the Haitian Revolution shook the institution of slavery throughout the New World.: http://www.fofweb.com/History/HistRefMain.asp?iPin=SIWH0075&SID=2&DatabaseName=Modern+World+History+Online&InputText=%22Carib%22&SearchStyle=&dTitle=%26%2334%3BA+Land+of+Slavery+Purified+by+Fire%26%2334%3B&TabRecordType=Historical+Document&BioCountPass=222&SubCountPass=569&DocCountPass=5&ImgCountPass=15&MapCountPass=22&FedCountPass=&MedCountPass=37&NewsCountPass=0&RecPosition=3&AmericanData=&WomenData=&AFHCData=&IndianData=&WorldData=Set&AncientData=&GovernmentData= SEE ALSOà http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toussaint_Louverture
14. Robert Fisk…Friday 30 August 2013…Iran, not Syria, is the West’s real target: Iran is ever more deeply involved in protecting the Syrian government. Thus a victory for Bashar is a victory for Iran. And Iranian victories cannot be tolerated by the West http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/iran-not-syria-is-the-wests-real-target-8789506.html
15. Below is Information about Syria from The International Action Center: http://www.iacenter.org/
Ban Ki-Moon emphasized two important points in his statement on Syria….[S]peaking at the Hague… a bit extraordinary in his case, mentioning the fact that the Hague international criminal courts activities should be kept in mind by those who are on the path of committing an international crime….” http://syria360.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/race-to-war-aims-to-conceal-evidence-the-west-was-behind-chemical-weapons-attack/
17. Tapping Human Energy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51DuFfO1ILM&hd=1
18. “…[T]op 10 reasons not to attack Syria, even if the latest chemical weapons lies were true…” August 26, 2013…Lying Liars Who Lie About the Lying…Lying About Syria… by DAVID SWANSON http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/08/26/lying-about-syria/
We must make clear that we will not be tricked into another war designed to make profits for the Wall Street military contractors and oil profiteers. Such a war will take thousands of innocent lives. There is no justification for such a criminal act.
The billions of dollars that such a war would cost should be spent on education, schools, healthcare, and other basic societal needs. The fact that another foreign war is being considered, at a time that food stamps are being cut, record numbers of homes are being foreclosed, and schools are being shut down and privatized in the name of a “budget crisis”, is outrageous. Austerity is continuing in the U.S. and public sector workers’ jobs are being eliminated. Basic infrastructure within the U.S. is crumbling. Bridges are insecure. Water is not being properly purified.
A new war will be disastrous for people of the Middle East, the U.S., and the entire world. According to a Reuters poll, 89% of the population is opposed to U.S. support for Syrian opposition.
FACTS on SYRIA:
• There is absolutely no evidence or confirmation that the Assad government carried out the alleged chemical attack.
• United Nations weapons inspectors are in Syria at the direct REQUEST of the Syrian government to prove that they have not used chemical weapons. The attack took place a mere ten miles away from the inspection team, on the very day they arrived.
• Carla Del Ponte, a United Nations Human Rights investigator, has stated that the Syrian government has not used chemical weapons but the rebels have.
• In May, 12 members of the Syrian rebel forces were arrested in Turkey. The rebels possessed 4.5 pounds of Sarin, the neurotoxin gas alleged to have been used in the recent attack.
• In January, the “Daily Mail”, a prominent British newspaper, reported that the Syrian rebels were planning a chemical attack which they would blame on the Syrian government in order to justify U.S. intervention. The report was based on leaked emails from military contractors.
• The Syrian rebels are receiving direct weapons and funding from the United States, despite their record of atrocities including rape, murder, and torture. The U.N. has reported that they are actively recruiting young children, in addition to other violations of international law.
• The Assad government has fully cooperated with the weapons inspection teams.
• Members of the United Nations inspection team have openly stated their doubts about the chemical attack. Dr. Ake Sellstrom, the leader of the team, called the reports of the alleged attack “suspicious”.
• Reports on the attack are extremely inconsistent. Some reports said over 1,300 were killed. Other reports have said less than 200. Still other reports say over 350. The numbers are unclear and totally unsubstantiated.
• The report being circulated by “Doctors Without Borders” is not based on their own information, but based on reports they received from a Syrian rebel group by their own admission.
• Videos of the alleged attack were posted on the internet by allies of the Syrian rebels, BEFORE the attack took place.
• The credibility of the video of the alleged chemical attack is being widely questioned by chemical weapons experts. The victims are not displaying the proper symptoms of having been struck by a Sarin nerve gas. The people shown treating them are not wearing proper equipment.
• The U.S. is currently urging the U.N. weapons inspection team to halt its work. The U.N. weapons inspectors insist that they must be allowed to continue their investigations and to determine actual facts.
Despite all of this confusion and inconsistency in the claims about this alleged attack, the U.S. government, along with its corporate allies in Britain and France are openly pushing for an attack on Syria.
We have seen all this before:
• The Spanish-American War was justified with an alleged attack on the U.S.S. Maine. In reality, the ship was sunk by an internal explosion.
• The U.S. entrance into World War I was justified with the “Zimmerman Telegram”, claiming Germans were plotting to invade the U.S. with Mexico. The telegram was later proven to be a fraud.
• The Vietnam War was justified with the “Gulf of Tonkin”incident claiming Vietnam had attacked a U.S. ship. It was later proved that the alleged attack never actually took place.
• In 1983, the U.S. invasion of Grenada was based on allegations that the government was planning to murder U.S. medical students. This was proven to be complete fiction.
• In 1989, the U.S. overthrow of the government of Panama was based on false allegations about drugs and attacks on U.S. troops.
• The U.S./NATO bombing of Yugoslavia was justified with reports of with unsubstantiated reports of genocide in Serbia. A great number of these reports have been totally discredited.
• The Gulf War of 1991 was justified with false reports of Iraqi War crimes in Kuwait. The “babies thrown from incubators” stories that filled the TV news, were proven to be totally false.
• In 1991, the U.S. used satellite photos to claim that Iraq was amassing soldiers to invade Saudi Arabia. The photos were proven later to have been complete forgeries.
• The U.S. invasion and occupation of Afghanistan was justified in the name of fighting a “war on terror” after Sept.11. None of the people who allegedly carried out the 9/11 attacks had any connections with Afghanistan or its government.
• The U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 was based on reports of “weapons of mass destruction” and “chemical and biological weapons.” After the U.S. invaded, killing thousands of innocent people, it was proven that Iraq never had any such weapons.
• The U.S. intervention in Libya was justified with claims of genocide and rape. Now that the Libyan government has been overthrown and thousands innocent Libyans killed, many of these reports have also been thoroughly discredited.
[Roxanne Amico is an artist who considers her writing, painting-collages, photographs, and audio-art & interviews a “necessary but insufficient” component of the revolution needed in our collective resistance to empire. Here’s her most recently completed audio segment of the series, “Rad Rox the Roots”à http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/audio/joshHarperFinalTh11apr2013.20.25mono.mp3 She is working her butt off at a day job to save money to pay for a proper website to be built, but for now you can find (some of) her work here: http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/and at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/roxanne.r.amico.]